HSC is a market leader in helping ODMs and OEMs develop turnkey state of the art Android devices. As of today, HSC has worked on over 300+ Android related projects and solutions for our customers.
Browse our expertise in specific verticals of Connected Devices:
HSC's Android Skill Map
Overview of HSC Android Turnkey Device Development Process
- Our key android consultants work with you for a period of 4-6 weeks (average) to translate your business requirements to system requirements. As part of this consulting engagement:
- We help you identify processors and boards and collaboratively develop a architecture specification at the platform level, that you can then pass on to your hardware partner for production
- We outline the various 3rd party stacks and modifications that will need to be added to Android
- We define the modifications that will be needed on Android, the CTS plan strategy
- We work with you to define a future proof roadmap that covers upgrade strategy, security strategy, UX strategy etc.
- Post the consulting phase, we also work with our clients to develop and maintain the complete system for them. The Android development can be completely from the start, or, more likely, a hybrid approach where we reuse existing functionality from your past products (especially where you are considering Android for your next line of products, but need to borrow a lot of existing linux functionality from old products)
With the incredible growth of Android, many vendors are looking to customize it to meet their own needs as well as provide a rich UX and access to 3rd party apps on emerging connected devices. However, therein lies the challenge. While developing Android apps is well document and resources are abundant, developing a device based on Android requires a very deep understanding at the linux, platform and OS level in addition to Android middleware, which is over 3GB+ of source code today and sparsely documented. That is exactly where HSC comes in.
Over the past few years, HSC has invested a significant amount of R&D in building its in-depth Android and Linux platform skills and is probably one the few companies today that can claim to have a 'soup-to-nuts' knowledge of all things android
Here are just some, that we know how to solve:
- Working with OEMs to transform a stock tablet into an ethernet capable enterprise IP phone complete with unified calling and other enterprise features
- Build a Fixed Mobile Convergence (VoIP/CS) client which is embedded into Android's telephony stack, instead of a limited feature user space VoIP application.
- Replacing OpenCORE with other media stacks to avoid Android's OpenCORE limitations but keeping APIs to apps the same
- Add integrated "Video Calling" integrated into Android's telephony stack
- Build Custom ROMs for Android for specific devices (healthcare devices, low footprint phones etc.)
- SSL VPN functionality to Android clients
- Control your camera and audio from NDK level bypassing Java (for performance)
- Porting existing Set Top Box platforms to Android
- Developing Fast Boot for Android
- Enterprise security additions to Android
- Reducing Android footprint for embedded devices like watches
The list could go on. These are typical problems that companies trying to adopt the "Android Way" are encountering.
HSC can be your ideal partner on your journey because we have already invested in building skills not just in application development, but the core internals of Android as well. And that is why we are already working with many leaders in this space to help them build solutions that help then accelerate ahead of their competition.
Some of our open source contributions to Android:
Let us help you with your next embedded Android project. Get in touch with our experts today!